There are a few common errors that happen when a citation, or your document, experiences issues.
Table of contents:
1. Citation isn’t rendering when inserted, it says “Loading…” or “Chargement…”
What should I do?
- Delete citation and click “Cite” again
- Close and reopen document and click “Cite” again
2. When I try to generate a BOA, I receive a "PDF rendering timeout" error
This is the same issue as above - one or more of your citations in the document have an error. If you notice any that say "Loading", or where the case text does not appear in your side panel correctly, follow the steps in scenario 1.
3. My citation says <span style> and other unwanted content in it
This happens in some versions of our Word Add-In when italics or other special characters are used.
What should I do?
- Check if your Short Form has italics in it - if so, try unitalicizing.
- Check if you have any of the following characters in your Full Citation or Short Form fields: - % < > : ;
4. My citation has field codes in it, making them very long!
This one is an easy fix - click Alt+F9 to toggle showing field codes on or off.
Or, you can go to File > Options > Advanced > Show field codes instead of values (off)
5. Even after trying the field codes fix (Step 4), my citations are showing URL hyperlinks instead of the style of cause or primary citation.
To troubleshoot this, try:
- Turning instant render off and back on.
For longer documents, turning it back on will take a few moments and you may see a message while it is re-loading your citations.
- Close all of your Microsoft Word windows, then reopen the document.
- For a more complete refresh of your system, close all programs, shut down and restart your computer.
If all else fails, or you have other errors:
The best thing to do to "reset" your citations is to copy and paste the contents into a blank document.
- Select all contents in your Word document. Ctrl+A
- Copy. Ctrl+C
- Create a new blank document. Ctrl+N
- Paste, making sure that the paste option is set to "Keep source formatting". Ctrl+V
Other common troubleshooting steps
These are always great to do to refresh your Word if it is slow or has any errors.
- Close and reopen your document
- Close ALL Microsoft Word windows and reopen your document
- Log in and out of the CiteRight side panel
- Restart your computer
If these steps are not working for you, don't hesitate to submit a ticket explaining what error you have. Any screenshots or attachments that you can provide will help our team serve you faster!